Sunday, January 23, 2011

Is it Really Justified?

   The following comment was sent to me by a Bermudian that has lived in the UK for quite some time...

I love Bermuda and advertise of its beauty often, even in the advertising I stress with out reservation that it is extremely expensive.
I was enquiring about a hotel or guest house for a friend to come down last year and thought that I could find something for maybe $70 a night and was told even with a staff discount I would find nothing less than $200, I was dumbfounded.

I have been back there twice since leaving and was stunned at the prices of everything. I could never think of coming back to live as I couldn't possibly justify it.
Here you pay $1,800 for a 4 bed room house with two ensuite bathrooms, a full bathroom, large lounge and a cloakroom and good size kitchen, but over there I hear you pay more than that sometimes for a one bedroom; that is just mad.
I can buy a 2 litre bottle of water for 50 cents but have to pay almost $3 for it there. Not dissing the place but I believe that the truth has to be told, it is unnecessarily over priced.

Is it really justified?

So... it could all be explained away by saying that we pay more because everything has to be imported and with that numerous people must be paid for said services etc. but at the end of the day is the struggle that is life in Bermuda really justified? I'm beginning to wonder... and I am not alone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment